With technological advances in Internet of things (IoT) and big data analytics, digital information technology (IT) systems are rapidly integrating with operational technology (OT) systems, merging business processes, insights and controls into a single uniform environment, to accelerate improving productivity, streamlining workflows, and increasing bottom lines for industries including manufacturing, utility, transportation, communications, medical and retail.
One of the biggest challenges for IT and OT environment convergence is increased security concerns and new threats. Network monitoring can alleviate a portion of the new security threat that specifically targets industrial operations, however expansive visibility into the entire operation, including both the industrial control system (ICS) environment and the converged IT infrastructure, is needed to safeguard the security and control of the network.
By deploying a solution that would address both network-based attacks and device active querying, industrial operations can be provided with complete visibility, security, and control over their OT networks. A top cybersecurity expert in OT vulnerability scanning came to Lanner to design a rugged cybersecurity appliance that has the ability to actively secure the industrial environment. The hardware appliance must be sufficiently robust and powerful and have the following functionalities:
- IEC-61850-3 & IEEE 1613 Certifications – Critical infrastructure environments can be harsh, with unexpected ambient temperature fluctuations, shocks and vibrations, or other external factors. Therefore, deployments in these environments require IEC-61850-3/IEEE 1613 certifications for withstanding these external environmental impacts.
- Wide Operating Temperature – Given the extreme temperature in a critical infrastructure environment, the appliance must be able to operate at a wide temperature range.
- Advanced LAN Bypass – To ensure operations network resiliency, fault-tolerant LAN traffic is essential in ICS communication in case a failure occurs.
- Secure Technology – An on-board TPM for secure crypto-processing and tamper resistance at the hardware level.
- Dual Power Path – For equipment deployed in the utility sector, a reliable power supply is essential, and a dual power path can offer even higher stability in OT domains.
To protect industrial networks from cyber threats, malicious insiders, and/ or human errors, industrial operators must have complete visibility across the entire attack surface in addition to threat detection, asset tracking, vulnerability management, and configuration control in order to maximize the safety and reliability of OT environments. Lanner provides rugged security gateways that can manage, monitor, and control the systems deployed in SCADA, PLC, and industrial and utility control systems.
Lanner’s LEC-6041 is designed to protect communication between the IT and OT environments. Empowered by Intel Atom x7-E3950 or x5-E3930 for low power consumption and high processing performance, IEC 61850-3 and IEEE 1613 certified LEC-6041 was made for a rugged environment with wide operating temperature and multiple 15KV ESD protected I/O ports and 1.5KV magnetic isolation protected LAN ports. The hardware design will ensure the security gateway LEC-6041’s ability to operate in hazardous surroundings without downtime. LEC-6041 provides visibility, security, and management for the OT network, suitable for critical infrastructures such as power stations, oil refineries, and renewable energy.
IEC 61850-3 Wide Temperature ICS Cyber Security Gateway with Intel Atom CPU
|Intel Atom x7-E3950 or x5-E3930