Our modern society is highly dependent on energy, everything from light and heat in our homes to the massive data centers that support the internet. With the growing complexity of the electrical system and the rise in the number of intelligent electronic devices (IEDs), modern power substations require a high degree of automation and data communication network management to ensure the reliability of supply and efficient operation.
Through the use of software-defined networking technology, guided by the IEC 61850 standard, digitalized substations can deliver increased efficiency, additional capacity, and high revenue potential, while creating a network that can evolve with changing technologies and needs.
A European system integrator came to Lanner to collaborate on an integrated substation platform that would fulfill their customer’s needs. The jointly-developed hardware platform needed to meet the following features:
- IEC 61850-3 and IEEE 1613 certification specially designed for power substations
- Intel Xeon CPU with four cores/eight threats (Kaby Lake, 7th. Generation, 14nm) for virtualization, which would reduce the amount of hardware required in the substation.
- Rich I/O functions, including PCIe slots for time sync card or industrial grade NICs, swappable drive bays for RAID, and TPM 2.0 module support to maintain a high level of security.
- -40~75°C wide operating temperature range and advanced passive cooling system to ensure robust operating performance.
- Redundant power supply 110 DC and /or 220V DC or AC 100-240 V AC/200W to prevent network service interruption.
In order to stabilize the smart energy grid and react to fluctuating inputs, more computing power needs to be integrated into substations and utility networks, through the use of software-defined networking technology.
LEC-3340 is designed to implement modern IT structures and benefit from virtualization to reduce hardware costs and increase availability and security. With its 64GB of main memory, LEC-3340 can run several virtual machines while assigning each of them the resources of a standalone system for virtualization and cybersecurity.
As a 3U rackmount industrial edge consolidation server, it is powered by Intel® Xeon® E3-1505L V6 or Core™ i5-7442EQ (formerly Kaby Lake-H) processor to offer outstanding performance. Designed to be robust, LEC-3340 is IEC-61850 and IEEE 1613 compliant. This industrial-grade edge consolidation server provides rich I/O functions, including 4x PCIe slots, 4x RJ-45 GbE LAN ports, 5x USB 3.0 ports, 2x 2.5” swappable drive bays, DP/DVI display port, and 2x isolated COM ports.
- IEC 61850-3 Industrial Substation Gateways Enable Centralized Visibility and Regulatory in both IT/OT Networks
- Hardware Platforms for ICS/OT Vulnerability Management
- Protecting Smart Grids and Critical Infrastructure with Industrial Firewalls
IEC 61850-3 Compliant 3U Rackmount Controller System for Power Substation
|CPU||Intel® Xeon® E3-1505L V6, Core i3-7100E or Core i5-7442EQ CPU|